Should the Regional Council introduce a targeted rate to provide funding for charitable regional safety and rescue services?
Charitable regional safety and rescue
services (RSRS) provide a number
of vital safety and rescue services to
both local people in our community
and visitors to our region. Some of
these organisations receive little, and
in some cases, no central government
funding. They rely on other sources of
funding, including public funding from
local and regional councils, typically
by submitting to Council Long Term
and Annual Plans.
It is estimated that Councils across the Bay of Plenty region contribute approximately $400,000 in annual funding to RSRS providers. This includes a grant from the Regional Council of $30,000 per annum to Surf Lifesaving NZ through the Community Initiatives Fund (CIF) concluding in 2020/21.
The current approach to funding RSRS
providers has inefficiencies for service
providers and Councils as it provides
little certainty of future funding, results
in competition, means resources are
spent applying for funding, and creates
Regional Council sought feedback from the community through its Annual Plan 2019/20 Consultation Document, and 80.5% of submitters supported two options that included increasing funding for RSRS with a targeted rate. The remaining 19.5% of submitters supported the status quo.
Through this Long Term Plan consultation,
we are seeking feedback on the level
of funding provided for RSRS services
through the LTP 2021-2031. Other
Councils across the region may also
provide funding to RSRS providers
separate to this. If implemented,
this funding would replace the existing
ad-hoc mechanisms for funding
these services, such as the Community
|Description||Level of service Effects||Financial Effects|
|1.||No. Any funding is provided via existing mechanisms
such as the Community Initiatives Fund (approx. $200,000 per annum) and is allocated through general rates.
|The level of service would remain at a similar level as currently provided.
|2.||Yes up to $200,000 per annum||Allocating total funding of up to $200,000 funding will mean that the level of service will be increased||Up to $200,000 per annum (approximately $0.80-$2.00 incl. GST on average per property which is equivalent to a targeted rates increase of 0.70%).
|3*||Yes up to $400,000 per annum||Allocating total funding of up to $400,000 extra funding will mean that the level of service will be increased||Up to $400,000 per annum (approximately $1.60-$4.00 incl GST on average per property which is equivalent
to a targeted rates increase of 1.40%).
|4.||Yes up to $600,000 per annum||Allocating total funding of up to $600,000 extra funding will mean that the level of service will be increased||Up to $600,000 per annum (approximately $2.40-$6.00 incl GST on average per property which is equivalent to a targeted rates increase of 2.11%).|
* Preferred option